This is the blog of Guythatnooneknows. This blog is intended to amuse and entertain, but also, to tell you what you should think about everything important to Guythatnooneknows.

Sunday, January 23, 2005

The Fundamental Flaws of The O.C.

As you may or may not know, I am a huge fan of Fox's hit teen adult drama The O.C. The premise of this show is to display the life and times of teenagers and their families in the rich and fabulous life of high class citizens in Orange County. I just thought of something. There are no African American's anywhere to be found on this show. Hmmm. Well, anyways, I was watching The O.C. this past Thursday and I began to think about some of the plot flaws that the writers seem to think most people who watch The O.C. will just miss. I've decided to point them out for all of you to see. So without further adu, I present, The Fundamental Flaws of The O.C.

1. Reliance upon the viewer forgetting details presented in the first season of The O.C.

Now, the writer's of The O.C. clearly pointed out that the teen characters on The O.C. are still in high school and inbetween the ages of 16-19. This is a huge problem for me. Above all other reasons is that the life experiences of a typical 16-19 year old is not typical of that of a character on The O.C. Now, in the new season of The O.C. there is a new character who has had her age established as 17. Now, in those 17 years of her life she has run away from home 3 times, lost contact with her parents, turned lesbian, then turned straight, then moved to The O.C., owns a bar, and in the next episode, becomes a bisexual.

Ok, I can see most of the stuff happening, but owning a bar doesn't work, because you can't serve liquer at 17 to anyone. And actually, all that life experience before the age of 17 is quite a bit. I mean, she probably didn't even start playing around with her sexuality until she was 14, 13 if she's really a whore.

2. Unlimited amounts of good and timely weather.

Now, I realize that it's Orange County, California, and I realize that you people in Orange County live right on the beach, and I realize that it's a fantastic place to live and all, but you guys don't have perfect and perfectly timed weather all the time. I don't ever, EVER recall and episode of The O.C. in which it was rainy or cloudy or even foggy. All I ever remember is sunny, bright, and emotionally timed weather, and that, my friends, is fucked up.

3. Misha Barton is not as hot as you want her to be O.C. Writers

She's actually uncomfortably skinny and needs to fire her acting coach. Your major 14-18 year old girl fanbase may buy that she's the best thing since sliced bread, but I sure don't. She had a scene in the first episode of the 2nd season in which her mother orders her to tell her what's bothering her and here is a description of the action that follows.

Misha Barton: You wanna know what's bothering me??? /glares at mother

/precedes to wretch the most annoying scream you've ever heard and throws lawn furniture into the pool, then storms off to her room.

It may not sound all the horrible, but after watching it a few times, it is. Believe it. Also, her character is incredibly hateable to me and I'm not sure exactly why. She is relatively whiney on the show, and I think that has a lot to do with it. Also, one thing the writers of The O.C. did really well with Misha, is they wrote her sections of the script precisely to make her the one character on her show that always gets her just desert.

*****

Those are only a few that I can think of. I want to make it clear that this post was not intended to be a rip of The O.C. because I really freakin like that show. I was just having a few passing thoughts throughout the week about last weeks episode and decided that my thoughts on The O.C. would probably be interesting to someone.

-Guy


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?